Xbox 360 with controllerI had an interesting talk with the customs officer at the airport a week ago. Visibly exhausted, I had just returned to Toronto from a conference at Miami Beach. This conversation is a true story, word for word:
  • Where are you coming from?
  • (After staring blankly for a minute) Oh, Miami.
  • What were you doing in Miami?
  • I was speaking at a conference.
  • What do you think about the new Xbox 360?
Why in the world would a customs officer ask me about video games?
  • Huh? I thought that wasn't coming out until November.
  • It is November.
  • Already? This year has gone by fast.
Arriving on November 22, the Microsoft Xbox 360 is an impressive gaming machine. If you own a high definition television (HDTV) and you are an avid gamer, you should have already pre-ordered this puppy. It's one of the first consoles that boasts full support for higher-than-DVD quality pictures in widescreen format. Although it's an expensive machine ($500, not including $60-$70 per game, $60 per extra wireless controller and $50 for the HD component cable), you can finally justify that $3000 television purchase. I don't envy parents that have to explain to their kids why a thousand dollars is too much to spend on a video game console.

If you don't own an HDTV, this system might tempt you to finally taking the plunge. And the system isn't just for die-hard gamers; even four year-olds have been spotted with the machine.

Four year-old wonder with an Xbox 360

Unfortunately, it has already sold out. The Toys R Us that just opened down the street confirmed that the first two shipments were already taken by pre-orders. Microsoft took a page from Apple's marketing book and created a product shortage on its launch day. It's a rather risky maneuver to take just before on of the busiest retail shopping days of the year: Black Friday. Perhaps Microsoft will follow Apple's page 2 and ramp up supply in the weeks after the release, just before the holidays.

Even if you managed to buy an Xbox 360, it is nothing more than a shiny white box without the games. There are a few notable releases from the start, but no must-have purchases:
  • Project Gotham Racing 3 is Microsoft's answer to Sony's Gran Turismo, one of the most popular titles for the Playstation 2.
  • Perfect Dark Zero revives a series based on one of the best games on the Nintendo 64 platform.
  • Kameo: Elements of Power is a visually stunning platformer that shows off the new system. It's also nice to know that one of the most anticipated games for 360 is a kid-friendly title.
In total, there are around twenty-five titles at launch. It's an healthy number, considering that the Sony Playstation Portable (PSP) that I bought back in March has around 30 titles today. That system has been collecting dust on a shelf ever since. Sometimes, the first ones in line are the first ones to be disappointed.

However, Microsoft has poured over a $1 billion U.S. into their XBox division. It's lead by a young, ambitious, thirty-something man that pushed Bill Gates towards conquering the Internet. He now intends to dominate the living room with the same focus. This round of the console wars is for Sony to lose and Microsoft to gain.

In my case, I did not pre-order the system. I also don't plan on lining up four o'clock in the morning on November 22 to buy the system. I would rather get started on my holiday shopping first. Perhaps finish the pile of games that I haven't completed yet for the XBox and PS2.

But if I manage to find an Xbox 360 for sale, oh, I won't hesitate to take one with me back home.

Update: Take a look at this document to see how many Xbox 360s will appear at your local Future Shop. If you see more than a hundred people lined up in front of the store, you'd might as well go back a week later.