Try as I might to resist, the Microsoft marketing juggernaut has gotten to me. On my way to work this morning, I made a detour at the local Wal-Mart. Since they did not take any pre-orders for the Microsoft Xbox 360, they were my best chance of snagging one of the most sought after gifts this holiday season.
Stay-at-home moms were strolling through the stores at 9 o’clock this morning. Feeling a bit sheepish about asking for a video game machine this early in the morning, I picked up a box of cookies and leisurely strolled over to the electronics section.
Things were not boding well for me. There was no sign of any 360 merchandise anywhere. Just as I was about to leave the store, I saw a dozen
basic Core Systems behind the counter. Although the basic system costs $100 less, I would need to buy $200 worth of accessories later to get the components included with the more expensive version. Bill Gates did not earn his fortune by being a charity.
- Do you have any of the white boxes (Premium Bundles) for sale?
- No, they were long gone this morning.
- Just curious, how many of them were in the store this morning?
- No, they are all gone.
- How many of them were originally in stock before the store opened this morning?
She turned around to ask a younger gentleman who was stacking some videos behind the counter. Wal-Mart associates don't seem to understand the concept of
past tense:
- They are all gone. No left.
- No, (the shopper) is asking how many systems did we have in stock this morning.
- Oh, 24 maybe. 26.
What I hadn’t realized is that this store opens at 8 o’clock for holiday shopping. On the other hand, there was next to no chance of getting one of the 24 boxes without lining out in the cold for hours. The comforts of a warm bed is worth more than a video game console.
I left the box of cookies on a shelf as I made my way out of the store. Perhaps I should finish my holiday shopping for everyone else before trying to buy my own gift.
Update: Uh oh,
trouble in gaming paradise? A few early adopters have already found Microsoft's new monochrome screen of death. They're not putting forth a good impression on a four-billion dollar gamble.